[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4532: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4534: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4535: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4536: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Port Luskan • View topic - Posting Question

A forum for the Port Luskan role play

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Posting Question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:17 pm 

Okay, I know there is the Posting Rules elsewhere, but I want to make sure I have this clear before I post a thread in the IC forum.

Keri does tarot readings. Sure she's not a witch or other magic user, but since she's a gypsy it has been part of her character since I created her. So I would like to set up a tarot reading thread in the IC forum area, but not necessarily for RP, just for the readings (Marae will likely recognize this set-up from Tora's Tarot in the Uru forums ;) ). I just want to make sure this is alright and I won't get zinged for not tying it in with any RP line. Otherwise I can set it up here in the OOC area....

Post subject: Re: Posting Question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Tora, if the readings are being done IC, then I think it's fine to have it in the RP forum. You can set up your reading room wherever you like; your tent, or maybe you can even make arrangements with Alyra to use the bookshop. I'd suggest let's establish the location in the RP first, and then you can start the thread. (Even though you said "not for RP," you know it is going to happen in there, right? Because some of us just can't help ourselves. :lol: )

And yes, I do recognize the setup. :) It's a nice arrangement: Anyone can drop by the reading room when they have a question, post it, and Tora - er, Keri - can then do the reading which will get to her client one way or another (by pigeon mail if nothing else) if said client gets pulled into other RP in the meantime.

Tora does do excellent readings, and they are lots of fun. I am delighted you're offering to do that here, Tora. *Marae looks for the applauding hands or thumbs up smiley and realizes she is going to have to get more smilies for us*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:45 am 

Yay! And yes, I planned on setting up Keri's tent somewhere in RP first. She'll likely do all her readings there. I may reintroduce Murrey the Albatross as Keri's official messanger. I tried giving her a gyrefalcon but Murrey just had personality that couldn't be ignored! He got retired, but this is Dream after all...

And I have another question, completely unrelated to the last one. For those of us with more than one character-account (besides Tora I've got Keridwen and Aislyng, though Ash has yet to be introduced in RP and Tora is strictly OOC), would posting with the second account directly after the first be okay, provided we are actually using them as different characters/views? *reviews last sentence* Uh, was that clear?

Obviously we don't want long strings of one person's multiple accounts controlling a thread, but is the occasional self-buffer alright? I suppose it would be even better if both posts move the RP along, provided they don't conspire a hostile take-over. Of the thread that is, fighting off (or participating in) an RP hostile take-over might be fun. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:12 am 

I don't see an issue with it, heck I used to have very good arguments with myselves (is most fun when you have someone that doesn't know the 5 people around them are all the same person lol)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

I personally have no issue with posts from different accounts following each other, even though both accounts are owned by the same person. ;) What I would suggest is that we adopt a rule of thumb: If your characters have three posts in succession collectively (e.g. Tora, Ash, Tora), then give it a break and let someone else post. And in conjunction with that, let's adopt either a 3-day or 5-day wait period before the same player posts again. I would personally opt for the shorter duration: I want to see a balance that will encourage more people to post but not discourage story progression.

I would also like to see us allow some time, at least, in between same-player posts: say five hours?

So, in the morning Tora posts, in the evening Ash posts, the next day Tora posts, and three days later Tora (or Ash) posts again. That would be all right, provided it moved the story along. But Tora or Ash posting merely to "bump" the thread would not be as acceptable.

Of course, any other player posting in the midst of all that resets the post counter to zero. :D

I think if we all use common sense, we can use our multiple characters to good advantage to keep the story alive.

A word of caution: In the SL version of the RP, we were explicitly told not to interact with our own characters, to avoid "crossover." Crossover means your character A would benefit from information they can get from your character B, and so you use your OOC knowledge to have character A get that information from character B, when ICly the two characters would have little or no reason to interact that way. Not that this player has ever done anything of the sort. :oops: It can also mean setting up relationships between characters primarily for the purpose of passing information from one to another.

A forum situation poses some additional challenges for us: We are all going to be party to OOC information as we read the posts of others, with their descriptions of inner dialog, activities outside our ability to observe, and the like. So the crossover concern goes beyond interactions with our own characters. I do think we can handle this, and handle it well, and deal in good humor with the occasional "oops."

One other comment on same-player posting: I anticipate that occasionally a special-purpose thread will end up containing posts primarily from a single author. An example of such a thread is . Such threads are acceptable, and the authors are not necessarily subject to the same posting restrictions as regular story threads.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 pm 

I realized last night that I pretty much started a thread that I've got to got back and post on again before anyone else does. Oops. :oops:

Still learning how to rp here. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:35 pm 

Well you can always edit your first post. I always seem to be editing. Especially when I start a thread. Don't ask how many times I've edited the Tarot thread's opening post. :?

And having Marae change Keridwen to Ceridwen neccessitated editing all of Ceri's posts, though in Alyra's Guestbook she snuck back in and scribbled the name change, rather than me just switching letters. Hopefully anyone who was here before will not be too confused and anyone who shows up after will at least know how to pronounce Ceri properly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Lacy, we're all still learning how to rp here. :D I think you're talking about the Temple thread, and that's fine. By all means, whenever you're ready, go ahead and post to your thread again so that others can as well.

The main reason that most boards have restrictions on back to back posting is to avoid spamming by a single user. I don't think any of us is going to do that; my main concern is that we leave opportunities for others to respond to our posts.

But Tora is right; a simple way to avoid back to back posting is to edit your last post with the new material. I'd say use your best judgment on that: Lacy has been out and about and is returning to the temple after a time away, so placing her return in a separate post makes sense to me. If anyone wanted to post while she was gone, they've had plenty of time to do so by now. ;)